Learn the business of modern healthcare.
In today’s changing healthcare system, business professionals who understand the needs of this unique industry are more in demand than ever before. You can develop the knowledge and skills you need for success with the fully online B.S. in Health Services Management degree from Jefferson Online. Our curriculum is based in management and leadership skills, so you will learn how to make a difference in a number of healthcare settings, including hospitals, clinics, government agencies and more.
- Demonstrate an understanding of health, culture, and other forces impacting health delivery systems and the effective and efficient management of health care.
- Apply sound practices to include revenue cycle and financial principles in decision making within the functional areas of health care management
- Interpret and synthesize data to include demographics, and disparities in the delivery of health care services
- Exhibit leadership behaviors and cultural competency in preparation to lead effectively in a health services management role
- Apply legal and ethical principles, and social determinants to health care scenarios
- Demonstrate commitment to self-directed lifelong learning to promote personal and professional development
Next Start Date
Continuing students can view the curriculum from 2020 and prior years here.
General Education Requirements (21 Credits)
- Written Communication Elective
- Written Communication Elective
- STAX 211 Finding & Evaluating Statistical Data
- Science Elective
- COMX 220: Speaking to Lead in the Digital Age
- PHLX 222 Applied Professional Ethics
- Social Science Elective
Foundation Requirements (9 Credits)
- CSSX 101 Learning Across the Lifespan
- FINX 201 Accounting & Finance for Nonfinancial Leaders
- ECNX 231 Economic Decision Making
Creativity and Leadership Core (15 Credits*)
*9 credits must be completed in residence at Thomas Jefferson University.
The Creativity and Leadership Core empowers you to think creatively and lead in life, work and the community. Many of us believe that creativity is for people in the arts and that leadership is for people with certain job titles. The truth is creative thinking can be enhanced and tools and techniques in creativity can be learned. Similarly, leadership can be practiced at any level of an organization and in any setting, including your family and your community. Modern employers are seeking well-rounded workers who demonstrate creativity and leadership, serving as conduits of positive change.
- CLCX 310 Creativity Foundations and Applications
- CLCX 320 Creativity in the Digital Age
Prerequisite: CLCX 310
- CLCX 330 Project Management
- CLCX 340 Leading Diverse Organizations
- CLCX 350 Creative Leadership
Major Requirements (24 Credits**)
**12 credits must be completed in residence at TJU.
- HSMX 301 Health Systems and Policy
- HSMX 303 Business & Healthcare Law
- HSMX 311 Health Informatics
- HSMX 350 Public Health & Epidemiology
- HSMX 351 Strategic Planning & Marketing for HSOs
Prerequisite: HLSX 315 or HLSX 325 or HSMX 301 & CLCX 340 or CLCX 350
- HSMX 407 Financial Management of HSOs
Prerequisite: FINX 201, ECNX 231, & STAX 211
- HSMX 412 Healthcare Quality Improvement
Prerequisite: STAX 211
- HSMX 498 Health Services Management Capstone
Prerequisite: Creativity & Leadership Core, all major courses, COMX 220, & PHLX 222
Electives (Up to 51 Credits)
You may transfer credits earned from successfully completed courses from previously attended, accredited colleges/universities. The transfer credits will be determined from transcripts. Your academic advisor will help you choose courses to complete your degree.
Upon graduation from this program, you’ll be prepared for a wide variety of careers in the healthcare system. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals in this in-demand field can expect to see faster than average career growth through the year 2024 and command average salaries of more than $92,000 per year. Graduates are qualified for roles such as:
- Health Services Manager
- Hospital Administrator
- Clinical Director or Manager
- Healthcare Financial Manager
- Program Coordinator
- Compliance Manager
- Accreditation Program Manager
Jefferson Online has a rolling admissions policy that allows decisions to be made as soon as your file is complete.
- Submit a completed online application.
- Provide an official copy of a high school transcript with a posted graduation date or proof of successful completion of a GED program. Home-schooled students are also encouraged to apply for admission. Thomas Jefferson University accepts official transcripts electronically from previously attended institutions. Transcripts should be sent to email@example.com or mailed to:
Transcript Processing Center
Thomas Jefferson University
851 Trafalgar Court, Suite 420
Maitland, FL 32751
- High school and GED accreditation must be recognized by a state, regional, or other accrediting agency that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you have earned credits after high school, you will need to submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. An official copy of a transcript is a transcript that is stamped with the school’s seal.
Once you’ve applied, your enrollment counselor will provide you with an Official Transcript Request form. You should fill this out and return it signed in ink to your Enrollment Counselor. We will work to request your transcripts from any prior institutions on your behalf. You can get a head start on the credit evaluation process by submitting unofficial transcripts of grades and credits for prior coursework to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a statement indicating where you are in the application process.Tuition and Financial Aid Apply Now